upend(redirected from upends)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
v. up·end·ed, up·end·ing, up·ends
1. To stand, set, or turn on one end: upend an oblong box.
2. To invalidate, destroy, or change completely; overthrow: upended a popular legend.
3. To win victory over; defeat.
To be upended.
1. to turn or set or become turned or set on end
2. (tr) to affect or upset drastically
1. to set on end, as a barrel or ship.
2. to affect drastically or radically, as tastes, opinions, or reputations.
3. to defeat in competition.v.i.
4. to become upended.
5. to place the body back-end up, as a dabbling duck.
Past participle: upended
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||upend - become turned or set on end; "the airplanes upended"|
|2.||upend - set, turn, or stand on end; "upend the box and empty the contents"|