Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. up·grad·ed, up·grad·ing, up·grades
1. To raise to a higher grade or standard: upgrading their military defenses.
a. To replace (a software program) with a more recently released, enhanced version.
b. To replace (a hardware device) with one that provides better performance.
3. To improve the quality of (livestock or crops) through breeding.
1. To exchange a possession for one of greater value or quality; trade up.
2. Computers To replace software or hardware with an upgrade.
1. The act or an instance of upgrading.
a. A software program that provides added enhancements over an earlier version.
b. A hardware device that provides greater performance than an earlier model.
3. An upward incline.
adv. & adj.Idiom:
on the upgrade
Improving or progressing.
(Computer Science) (of a computer) having the ability to be made more powerful or efficient