Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. The upper side or portion.
2. An advantageous aspect: the upsides and downsides of home ownership.
3. An upward tendency, as in business profitability or in the prices of a stock.
On: "If you still didn't get it, well, sometimes you have to hit people upside the head ... to get their attention" (Howie Carr).
the upper surface or part
up•side(ˈʌpˌsaɪd for 1,3; ˈʌpˈsaɪd for 6 )
1. the upper side or part.
2. an upward trend.
3. a positive result.
4. an encouraging or positive aspect.prep.
5. on or against the side of: Give him a smack upside the head.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||upside - the highest or uppermost side of anything; "put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"|
poll - the part of the head between the ears
side, face - a surface forming part of the outside of an object; "he examined all sides of the crystal"; "dew dripped from the face of the leaf"
desktop - the top of a desk
rooftop - the top of a (usually flat) roof
tiptop - the extreme top or summit