Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
In or toward the direction from which the wind blows.
1. (Physical Geography) into or against the wind
2. (Physical Geography) towards or on the side where the wind is blowing; windward
3. (Physical Geography) going against the wind: the upwind leg of the course.
4. (Physical Geography) on the windward side: the upwind side of the house has weathered.
1. toward or against the wind or the direction from which it is blowing.adj.
2. moving or situated toward or in the direction from which the wind is blowing.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||upwind - towards the side exposed to wind |
windward - on the side exposed to the wind; "the windward islands"
|Adv.||1.||upwind - toward the wind; "they were sailing leeward"|
|2.||upwind - in the direction opposite to the direction the wind is blowing; "they flew upwind"|
downwind - with the wind; in the direction the wind is blowing; "they flew downwind"