upwind(redirected from upwindly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
In or toward the direction from which the wind blows.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) into or against the wind
2. (Physical Geography) towards or on the side where the wind is blowing; windward
3. (Physical Geography) going against the wind: the upwind leg of the course.
4. (Physical Geography) on the windward side: the upwind side of the house has weathered.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. toward or against the wind or the direction from which it is blowing.adj.
2. moving or situated toward or in the direction from which the wind is blowing.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||upwind - towards the side exposed to wind |
windward - on the side exposed to the wind; "the windward islands"
|Adv.||1.||upwind - toward the wind; "they were sailing leeward"|
|2.||upwind - in the direction opposite to the direction the wind is blowing; "they flew upwind"|
downwind - with the wind; in the direction the wind is blowing; "they flew downwind"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007