coma(redirected from uremic coma)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to uremic coma: Uraemic
n. pl. co·mas
A state of deep, often prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs.
[Greek kōma, deep sleep.]
n. pl. co·mae (-mē)
1. Astronomy The nebulous luminescent cloud surrounding the nucleus of a comet and composed of material evaporated from the nucleus when the comet is near the perihelion of its orbit. The nucleus and coma together form the head of a comet.
2. Botany A usually terminal tuft or cluster, especially a tuft of hairs on a seed, as on a willow or milkweed seed.
3. Physics A diffuse, comet-shaped image of a point source of light or radiation caused by aberration in an optical system.
[Latin, hair, from Greek komē.]
n, pl -mas
(Pathology) a state of unconsciousness from which a person cannot be aroused, caused by injury to the head, rupture of cerebral blood vessels, narcotics, poisons, etc
[C17: from medical Latin, from Greek kōma heavy sleep; related to Greek koitē bed, perhaps to Middle Irish cuma grief]
n, pl -mae (-miː)
1. (Astronomy) astronomy the luminous cloud surrounding the frozen solid nucleus in the head of a comet, formed by vaporization of part of the nucleus when the comet is close to the sun
2. (Botany) botany
a. a tuft of hairs attached to the seed coat of some seeds
b. the terminal crown of leaves of palms and moss stems
3. (General Physics) optics a type of lens defect characterized by the formation of a diffuse pear-shaped image from a point object
[C17: from Latin: hair of the head, from Greek komē]
n., pl. -mas.
a state of prolonged unconsciousness, including a lack of response to stimuli, from which it is impossible to rouse a person.
[1640–50; < Greek kôma deep sleep]
n., pl. -mae (-mē).
1. the nebulous envelope around the nucleus of a comet.
2. a monochromatic aberration of a lens or other optical system in which the image from a point source cannot be focused.
3. a tuft of hairs on a seed or a terminal cluster of leaves or bracts, as on a stem.
[1660–70; < Latin: hair < Greek kómē]
A state of deep unconsciousness resulting from disease or injury, from which a person cannot be aroused. A person in a coma usually is unable to respond to events taking place outside the body.
The brightly shining cloud of gas that encircles the nucleus and makes up the major portion of the head of a comet that is near the sun.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coma - a state of deep and often prolonged unconsciousness; usually the result of disease or injury|
unconsciousness - a state lacking normal awareness of the self or environment
diabetic coma, Kussmaul's coma - coma that can develop in inadequately treated cases of diabetes mellitus
hepatic coma - coma that can occur in severe cases of liver disease
|2.||coma - (botany) a usually terminal tuft of bracts (as in the pineapple) or tuft of hairs (especially on certain seeds)|
|3.||coma - (astronomy) the luminous cloud of particles surrounding the frozen nucleus of a comet; forms as the comet approaches the sun and is warmed|
astronomy, uranology - the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a whole
comet - (astronomy) a relatively small extraterrestrial body consisting of a frozen mass that travels around the sun in a highly elliptical orbit
cloud - any collection of particles (e.g., smoke or dust) or gases that is visible
غَيْبُوبَةغَيْبوبَه، فُقْدان الذّاكِرَه
trạng thái hôn mê
a long-continuing unconscious state. He was in a coma for several days after the accident. koma غَيْبوبَه، فُقْدان الذّاكِرَه кома coma kóma das Koma coma κώμαcoma kooma اغما kooma comaתרדמת निश्चेतना koma kóma koma dá coma こん睡状態 혼수상태 koma koma koma comakoma, dyp bevisstløshet letarg, śpiączka كوما ، بې حالى coma comă кома kóma koma koma koma สภาพไม่รู้สึกตัวของผู้ป่วย koma 昏迷 кома طویل بے ہوشی sự hôn mê 昏迷