fistula(redirected from ureterovaginal fistula)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. fis·tu·las or fis·tu·lae (-lē′)
1. A duct or passage resulting from injury, disease, or a congenital disorder that connects an abscess, cavity, or hollow organ to the body surface or to another hollow organ.
2. Such a passage that has been created intentionally, especially a surgically constructed connection between an artery and a vein that is used for vascular access in hemodialysis.
[Middle English, from Latin, hollow stalk of a reed, pipe, fistula (in the medical sense, probably calqued on Greek surinx, panpipe, fistula); perhaps akin to Latin festūca, straw, stalk; see fescue.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -las or -lae (-ˌliː)
1. (Pathology) pathol an abnormal opening between one hollow organ and another or between a hollow organ and the surface of the skin, caused by ulceration, congenital malformation, etc
2. obsolete any musical wind instrument; a pipe
[C14: from Latin: pipe, tube, hollow reed, ulcer]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fis•tu•la(ˈfɪs tʃʊ lə)
n., pl. -las, -lae (-ˌli)
1. Pathol. a narrow passage or duct formed by disease or injury.
2. a surgical opening into a hollow organ for drainage.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin: pipe, tube, fistula]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fistula - a chronic inflammation of the withers of a horse|
animal disease - a disease that typically does not affect human beings
|2.||fistula - an abnormal passage leading from a suppurating cavity to the body surface|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
fistula[ˈfɪstjʊlə] N (fistulas or fistulae (pl)) → fístula f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
fistula[ˈfɪstjʊlə] n → fistola
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. fístula, canal o pasaje anormal que permite el paso de secreciones de una cavidad a otra o a la superficie exterior;
anal ___ → ___ anal;
arteriovenous ___ → ___ arteriovenosa;
biliary ___ → ___ biliar.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
fistulan (pl -las o -lae) fístula; anal — fístula anal; arteriovenous — fístula arteriovenosa; mucous — fístula mucosa
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.