Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. The formation or development of hives.
2. The sensation of having been stung by nettles.
3. A lashing with nettles formerly used to treat a paralyzed part of the body.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) a burning or itching sensation
2. (Pathology) another name for urticaria
3. (Medicine) a former method of producing counterirritation of the skin by beating the area with nettles
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
the former practice of flogging a paralyzed limb or part with nettles, for the stimulating effect.See also: Remedies
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||urtication - an itchy skin eruption characterized by weals with pale interiors and well-defined red margins; usually the result of an allergic response to insect bites or food or drugs|
hypersensitivity reaction - an inappropriate and excessive reaction to an allergen (as pollen or dust or animal hair or certain foods); severity ranges from mild allergy to severe systemic reactions leading to anaphylactic shock
|2.||urtication - a sensation of having been stung by nettles|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.