uvular(redirected from uvulars)
Also found in: Medical.
Related to uvulars: uvular muscle
1. Of, relating to, or associated with the uvula.
2. Linguistics Articulated by vibration of the uvula or with the back of the tongue near or touching the uvula.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) of or relating to the uvula
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics articulated with the uvula and the back of the tongue, such as the (r) sound of Parisian French
(Phonetics & Phonology) a uvular consonant
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
u•vu•lar(ˈyu vyə lər)
1. of or pertaining to the uvula.
2. (of a consonant) articulated with the back of the tongue close to or touching the uvula, as the r-sound of Parisian French.n.
3. a uvular consonant.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
|Adj.||1.||uvular - of or relating to or associated with the uvula; "the uvular r"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
uvular[ˈjuːvjələʳ] ADJ → uvular
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → uvular; the uvular R → das Zäpfchen-R
n → Zäpfchenlaut m, → Uvular m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007