valet(redirected from valets)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
val·et(vă-lā′, văl′ā, văl′ĭt)
1. A man's male servant, who takes care of his clothes and performs other personal services.
2. An employee, as in a hotel or on a ship, who performs personal services for guests or passengers.
3. A person who parks and retrieves cars for patrons of restaurants, theaters, and other business establishments.
v. val·et·ed, val·et·ing, val·ets
To act as a personal servant to; attend.
To work as a valet.
[Middle English valette, from Old French vaslet, valet, servant, squire, from Vulgar Latin *vassellitus, diminutive of *vassus, vassal; see vassal.]
1. (Professions) a manservant who acts as personal attendant to his employer, looking after his clothing, serving his meals, etc. French name: valet de chambre
2. (Professions) a manservant who attends to the requirements of patrons in a hotel, passengers on board ship, etc; steward
vb, -ets, -eting or -eted
3. to act as a valet for (a person)
4. (tr) to clean the bodywork and interior of (a car) as a professional service
[C16: from Old French vaslet page, from Medieval Latin vassus servant; see vassal]
val•et(væˈleɪ, ˈvæl ɪt, ˈvæl eɪ)
1. a male servant who attends to the personal needs of his employer, as by taking care of clothing; manservant.
2. an employee who cares for the clothing of patrons of a hotel, passengers on a ship, etc.
3. a stand or rack for holding coats, hats, etc.v.t., v.i.
4. to serve as a valet.
Past participle: valeted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||valet - a manservant who acts as a personal attendant to his employer; "Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's man"|
body servant - a valet or personal maid
manservant - a man servant
|Verb||1.||valet - serve as a personal attendant to|
خادِم يَعْتَني بِملابِس سيِّده
n → Kammerdiener m; valet service → Reinigungsdienst m
valet(ˈvӕlit) , (ˈvӕlei) noun
a manservant who looks after his master's clothes etc. His valet laid out his evening suit. lyfeiene خادِم يَعْتَني بِملابِس سيِّده камериер criado sluha, komorník der Kammerdiener kammertjener υπηρέτης ayuda de cámara toapoiss, kammerteener پیشخدمت miespalvelija valet de chambre מְשָרֵת אִישִי निजी सेवक sluga, komornik, sobar inas pelayan pribadi einkaþjónn valletto 従��� (신변의 일을 시중드는) 하인 tarnas sulainis valet lijfknecht kammertjener lokaj criado valet камердинер sluha, komorník služabnik lični sluga betjänt คนรับใช้ชายของนายผู้ชาย vale 貼身男僕 камердинер خانساماں người phục vụ 男子的贴身男仆