Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to vaulting: vaulting horse
1. The act or practice of constructing vaults.
2. The method of construction of a vault.
a. A vault or vaulted structure.
b. Such structures considered as a group.
1. Leaping upward or over something.
2. Reaching too far; exaggerated: his vaulting ambition.
3. Employed in jumping over something: a vaulting pole.
(Architecture) one or more vaults in a building or such structures considered collectively
1. excessively confident; overreaching; exaggerated: vaulting arrogance.
2. used to vault: a vaulting pole.
1. the act of constructing vaults.
2. the structure forming a vault.
3. such structures collectively.
1. leaping up or over.
2. used in vaulting.
3. overweening: vaulting ambition.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vaulting - (architecture) a vaulted structure; "arches and vaulting"|
fan vaulting - an elaborate system of vaulting in which the ribs diverge like fans
structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
|2.||vaulting - a light leap by a horse in which both hind legs leave the ground before the forelegs come down|
dressage - maneuvers of a horse in response to body signals by the rider
|Adj.||1.||vaulting - revealing excessive self-confidence; reaching for the heights; "vaulting ambition"|
bold - fearless and daring; "bold settlers on some foreign shore"; "a bold speech"; "a bold adventure"