Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
veg·e·ta·tive(vĕj′ĭ-tā′tĭv) also veg·e·tive (-ĭ-tĭv)
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of plants or their growth.
a. Of, relating to, or capable of growth.
b. Of, relating to, or functioning in processes such as growth or nutrition rather than reproduction.
c. Of or relating to asexual reproduction, such as fission or budding.
3. Spending much time sitting or lying down; physically inactive.
4. Medicine Of or relating to an impaired level of brain function in which a person responds to certain sensory stimuli but demonstrates no cognitive function.
1. (Botany) of, relating to, or denoting the nonreproductive parts of a plant, i.e. the stems, leaves, and roots, or growth that does not involve the reproductive parts
2. (Biology) (of reproduction) characterized by asexual processes
3. (Biology) of or relating to functions such as digestion, growth, and circulation rather than sexual reproduction
4. (of a style of living) dull, stagnant, unthinking, or passive
veg•e•ta•tive(ˈvɛdʒ ɪˌteɪ tɪv)
1. growing or developing as or like plants; vegetating.
2. of, pertaining to, or concerned with vegetation or vegetable growth.
3. noting the parts of a plant not specialized for reproduction.
4. (of reproduction) asexual.
5. noting or pertaining to unconscious or involuntary bodily functions.
6. having the power to produce or support growth in plants: vegetative mold.
7. inactive; passive: a vegetative existence.Sometimes, veg′e•tive.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||vegetative - of or relating to an activity that is passive and monotonous; "a dull vegetative lifestyle"|
|2.||vegetative - composed of vegetation or plants; "regions rich in vegetal products"; "vegetational cover"; "the decaying vegetative layer covering a forest floor"|
|3.||vegetative - relating to involuntary bodily functions; "vegetative functions such as digestion or growth or circulation"|
physiology - the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
involuntary - controlled by the autonomic nervous system; without conscious control; "involuntary muscles"; "gave an involuntary start"
|4.||vegetative - (of reproduction) characterized by asexual processes|
vegetative[ˈvedʒɪtətɪv] ADJ → vegetativo
vegetative[ˈvɛdʒɪtətɪv] adj (also) (Bot) → vegetativo/a
1. rel. a funciones de crecimiento y nutrición;
2. rel. a funciones corporales involuntarias o inconscientes;
___ state → estado ___.