vellum(redirected from vellums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A fine parchment made from calfskin, lambskin, or kidskin and used for the pages and binding of books.
b. A work written or printed on this parchment.
2. A heavy off-white fine-quality paper resembling this parchment.
[Middle English velim, from Old French velin, from veel, calf; see veal.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a fine parchment prepared from the skin of a calf, kid, or lamb
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a work printed or written on vellum
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a creamy coloured heavy paper resembling vellum
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) made of or resembling vellum
5. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (of a book) bound in vellum
[C15: from Old French velin, from velin of a calf, from veel veal]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. calfskin, lambskin, kidskin, etc., treated for use as a writing surface.
2. a manuscript or the like on vellum.
3. a texture of paper or cloth resembling vellum.adj.
4. made of or resembling vellum.
5. bound in vellum.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vellum - a heavy creamy-colored paper resembling parchment|
writing paper - paper material made into thin sheets that are sized to take ink; used for writing correspondence and manuscripts
|2.||vellum - fine parchment prepared from the skin of a young animal e.g. a calf or lamb|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vellum[ˈvɛləm] n (= writing paper) → vélin m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Pergament nt
n → Pergamenteinband m
n → Pergamentpapier nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
vellum[ˈvɛləm] n (writing paper) → pergamena
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995