ventral(redirected from ventral coccygeal myotomy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Relating to or situated on or close to the abdomen; abdominal.
b. Relating to or situated on or close to the anterior aspect of the human body or the lower surface of the body of a nonhuman animal.
2. Botany Of or on the surface of an organ or part facing toward the axis; adaxial.
A ventral part, such as a fin or scale.
[Late Latin ventrālis, from Latin venter, ventr-, belly.]
1. (Anatomy) relating to the front part of the body; towards the belly. Compare dorsal
2. (Botany) of, relating to, or situated on the upper or inner side of a plant organ, esp a leaf, that is facing the axis
[C18: from Latin ventrālis, from venter abdomen]
1. of or pertaining to the venter or belly; abdominal.
2. situated on or toward the lower, abdominal plane of an animal's body, equivalent to the front in humans.
3. of or designating the lower or inner surface of a plant structure.
Of or on the front or lower surface of an animal.
Relating to the abdomen or front of the human body. Compare dorsal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||ventral - toward or on or near the belly (front of a primate or lower surface of a lower animal); "the ventral aspect of the human body"; "the liver is somewhat ventral in position"; "ventral (or pelvic) fins correspond to the hind limbs of a quadruped"|
dorsal - belonging to or on or near the back or upper surface of an animal or organ or part; "the dorsal fin is the vertical fin on the back of a fish and certain marine mammals"
|2.||ventral - nearest to or facing toward the axis of an organ or organism; "the upper side of a leaf is known as the adaxial surface"|