Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. One skilled in the use of words.
2. One who favors words over ideas or substance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who deals with words alone, rather than facts, ideas, feeling, etc
2. a person skilled in the use of words
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ver•bal•ist(ˈvɜr bə lɪst)
1. a person skilled in the use of words.
2. a person who is more concerned with words than with ideas or facts.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.