Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
verd antiquealso verde antique (vûrd)
A dull green, mottled or veined serpentine used in interior decoration.
[Obsolete French, from Italian verde antico : verde, green + antico, antique.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) a dark green mottled impure variety of serpentine marble
2. (Geological Science) any of various similar marbles or stones
3. (Elements & Compounds) another name for verdigris
[C18: from French, from Italian verde antico ancient green]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
(or verde′) antique′(vɜrd)
1. a green mottled or impure serpentine, sold as a marble and used for decorative purposes.
2. any of various similar green stones.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.