Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
ves·per·tine(vĕs′pər-tīn′) also ves·per·ti·nal (vĕs′pər-tī′nəl)
1. Of, relating to, or occurring in the evening.
2. Botany Opening or blooming in the evening.
3. Zoology Active in the evening.
[Latin vespertīnus, from vesper, evening; see vesper.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) botany zoology appearing, opening, or active in the evening: vespertine flowers.
2. (Zoology) botany zoology appearing, opening, or active in the evening: vespertine flowers.
3. occurring in the evening or (esp of stars) appearing or setting in the evening
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ves•per•tine(ˈvɛs pər tɪn, -ˌtaɪn)
also ves•per•ti•nal(ˌvɛs pərˈtaɪn l)
1. of, pertaining to, or occurring in the evening.
2. Bot. opening or expanding in the evening, as certain flowers.
3. Zool. appearing or flying in the early evening; crepuscular.
[1495–1505; < Latin vespertīnus=vesper vesper + -tīnus adj. suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.