Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A small candle kept burning in the chancel of Christian churches to symbolize the presence of the Holy Sacrament; an altar light.
2. A candle lighted by a worshiper for a special devotional purpose.
3. A light or candle kept burning at a shrine or before an icon.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a small candle lit as an act of personal devotion before a shrine or statue, usually in a church
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a small lamp kept permanently burning before such a shrine or statue
a small candle lighted as a devotional act before a shrine, icon, etc., esp. in a church.