Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A small candle kept burning in the chancel of Christian churches to symbolize the presence of the Holy Sacrament; an altar light.
2. A candle lighted by a worshiper for a special devotional purpose.
3. A light or candle kept burning at a shrine or before an icon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a small candle lit as an act of personal devotion before a shrine or statue, usually in a church
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a small lamp kept permanently burning before such a shrine or statue
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a small candle lighted as a devotional act before a shrine, icon, etc., esp. in a church.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.