Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A decorative design placed at the beginning or end of a book or chapter of a book or along the border of a page.
2. An unbordered picture, often a portrait, that shades off into the surrounding color at the edges.
a. A short, usually descriptive literary sketch.
b. A short scene or incident, as from a movie.
tr.v. vi·gnet·ted, vi·gnet·ting, vi·gnettes
1. To provide (a photograph or image) with indistinct or fading edges.
2. To describe in a brief way.
[French, from Old French, diminutive of vigne, vine (from the use of vine tendrils in decorative borders); see vine.]
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a small illustration placed at the beginning or end of a book or chapter
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a short graceful literary essay or sketch
3. (Art Terms) a photograph, drawing, etc, with edges that are shaded off
4. (Architecture) architect a carved ornamentation that has a design based upon tendrils, leaves, etc
5. any small endearing scene, view, picture, etc
6. (Art Terms) to finish (a photograph, picture, etc) with a fading border in the form of a vignette
a. to decorate with vignettes
b. to portray in or as in a vignette
[C18: from French, literally: little vine, from vigne vine; with reference to the vine motif frequently used in embellishments to a text]
1. a decorative design or small illustration used on the title page of a book or at the beginning or end of a chapter.
2. an engraving, drawing, photograph, or the like that is shaded off gradually at the edges so as to leave no definite line at the border.
3. a decorative design representing branches, leaves, etc., as in a manuscript.
a. a short, graceful literary sketch.
b. a brief, quietly touching or appealing scene or episode in a play, movie, or the like.
Past participle: vignetted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vignette - a brief literary description|
description - the act of describing something
|2.||vignette - a photograph whose edges shade off gradually|
|3.||vignette - a small illustrative sketch (as sometimes placed at the beginning of chapters in books)|