Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Wikipedia.
Related to vigorish: vigorous
1. A fee charged for the placement of bets by an illegal gambling broker or establishment.
2. Frequent and excessive interest payments charged by an illegal moneylender.
3. The payment of such fees or interest.
(Banking & Finance) high interest paid to a money lender
vig•or•ish(ˈvɪg ər ɪʃ)
1. a charge paid on a bet, as to a bookie.
2. interest paid to a moneylender, esp. a usurer.
[1910–15, perhaps < Ukrainian výgrash or Russian výigrysh winnings, profit]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vigorish - an exorbitant or unlawful rate of interest|
|2.||vigorish - a percentage (of winnings or loot or profit) taken by an operator or gangster|
cut - a share of the profits; "everyone got a cut of the earnings"