Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
[French, twenty-one : vingt, twenty + et, and + un, one.]
(Card Games) another name for pontoon2
1. a short, leather-covered club, consisting of a heavy head on a flexible handle, used as a weapon.
a. Also called twenty-one. a gambling game at cards, in which a player needs to get more points than the dealer to win, but not more than 21.
b. an ace together with a ten or a face card as the first two cards dealt in a hand of this game.
3. a small oak, Quercus marilandica, of the eastern U.S., having a nearly black bark.
4. a large drinking cup or jug for beer, ale, etc., orig. made of leather coated externally with tar.
5. a dark, iron-rich variety of sphalerite.v.t.
6. to strike or beat with a blackjack.
7. to compel by threat.
A French phrase meaning twenty-one, used to mean the card game of blackjack