Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Use of the voice in speaking or singing.
2. Music The act, technique, or art of singing.
a. A vowel sound.
b. A system of vowels used in a language or dialect.
1. the exercise of the voice, as in singing or speaking
2. (Music, other) singing, esp in respect to technique or skill
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics
a. a voiced speech sound, esp a vowel
b. a system of vowels as used in a language
vo•cal•ism(ˈvoʊ kəˌlɪz əm)
1. the use of the voice, as in speech or song.
2. the act, principles, or art of singing.
3. the system of vowels of a language.
Phonetics. the system of vowels in a given language. — vocalic, adj.See also: Linguistics
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vocalism - the system of vowels used in a particular language|
phonemic system - the system of phonemes recognized in a language
|2.||vocalism - the sound made by the vibration of vocal folds modified by the resonance of the vocal tract; "a singer takes good care of his voice"; "the giraffe cannot make any vocalizations"|
communication - something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
singing voice - the musical quality of the voice while singing
voice over - the voice on an unseen commentator in a film of television program