Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the production of sound through the mouth: the vertebrate vocal organs; a vocal defect.
2. Uttered or produced by the voice: vocal sounds.
3. Full of voices; resounding: a playground vocal with the shouts and laughter of children.
4. Tending to express oneself often or freely; outspoken: a vocal critic of city politics.
a. Of or resembling vowels; vocalic.
6. Music Of, relating to, or performed by singing: vocal training; vocal music.
1. A vocal sound.
2. often vocals A part or melody that is sung in a musical performance or recording: The drummer does the lead vocal on that song.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin vōcālis, from vōx, vōc-, voice; see wekw- in Indo-European roots.]
the quality of being vocal