Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Flying or capable of flying: volant mammals.
2. Moving quickly or nimbly; agile.
3. Heraldry Depicted with the wings extended as in flying.
[Latin volāns, volant-, present participle of volāre, to fly. Sense 3, from French, from Old French, present participle of voler, to fly, from Latin volāre.]
1. (Heraldry) (usually postpositive) heraldry in a flying position
2. rare flying or capable of flight
3. poetic moving lightly or agilely; nimble
[C16: from French: flying, from voler to fly, from Latin volāre]
1. engaged in or having the power of flight.
2. moving lightly; nimble.
3. (of a heraldic bird) having the wings extended for flight.
[1500–10; < French, present participle of voler to fly < Latin volāre]