Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a choice or decision made by the will; discretion: She left on her own volition.
Not to be confused with:
violation – a breach, infringement, or transgression as of a law or rule: She was stopped for a traffic violation.
1. The act of making a conscious choice or decision: He left of his own volition.
2. The power or faculty of choosing; the will: as long as I can exercise my volition.
[French, from Medieval Latin volitiō, volitiōn-, from Latin velle, vol-, to wish; see wel- in Indo-European roots.]
1. the act of exercising the will: of one's own volition.
2. the faculty or capability of conscious choice, decision, and intention; the will
3. the resulting choice or resolution
4. (Philosophy) philosophy an act of will as distinguished from the physical movement it intends to bring about
[C17: from Medieval Latin volitiō, from Latin vol- as in volō I will, present stem of velle to wish]
voˈlitional, voˈlitionary adj
vo•li•tion(voʊˈlɪʃ ən, və-)
1. the act of willing, choosing, or resolving; exercise of the will: She left of her own volition.
2. the power of willing or choosing; will.
3. a choice or decision made by the will.
[1605–15; < Medieval Latin volitiō, derivative of Latin vol-, variant s. of velle to want, wish (see will1)]
vo•li′tion•al, vo•li′tion•ar`y, adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||volition - the capability of conscious choice and decision and intention; "the exercise of their volition we construe as revolt"- George Meredith|
velleity - volition in its weakest form
|2.||volition - the act of making a choice; "followed my father of my own volition"|
selection, choice, option, pick - the act of choosing or selecting; "your choice of colors was unfortunate"; "you can take your pick"
intention - an act of intending; a volition that you intend to carry out; "my intention changed once I saw her"
The mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides:
volition[vəˈlɪʃ/ən] n of one's own volition → di propria volontà
n. volición, voluntad, poder de determinación.