Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Quantitative analysis using accurately measured titrated volumes of standard chemical solutions.
2. Analysis of a gas by volume.
1. (Chemistry) quantitative analysis of liquids or solutions by comparing the volumes that react with known volumes of standard reagents, usually by titration. Compare gravimetric analysis
2. (Chemistry) quantitative analysis of gases by volume
1. the determination of the concentration, by volume, of a substance in a solution, as by titration.
2. the determination of the volume of gases or changes in their volume during combination.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||volumetric analysis - determination of the volume of gases (or changes in their volume) during combination|
|2.||volumetric analysis - quantitative analysis by the use of definite volumes of standard solutions or reagents|
quantitative analysis, quantitative chemical analysis - chemical analysis to determine the amounts of each element in the substance
acidimetry - volumetric analysis using standard solutions of acids to measure the amount of a base present
alkalimetry - volumetric analysis using standard solutions of alkali to measure the amount of acid present
titration - a measured amount of a solution of unknown concentration is added to a known volume of a second solution until the reaction between them is just complete; the concentration of the unknown solution (the titer) can then be calculated