Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A spiral scroll-like ornament such as that used on an Ionic capital.
a. A spiral formation, such as one of the whorls of a gastropod shell.
b. Any of various marine gastropod mollusks of the family Volutidae, having a spiral, often colorfully marked shell.
[French, from Italian voluta, from Latin volūta, from feminine past participle of volvere, to turn, roll; see wel- in Indo-European roots.]
vo·lut′ed (-lo͞o′tĭd) adj.
1. a spiral or twisting turn, form, or object; spiral; whorl
2. (Architecture) Also called: helix a carved ornament, esp as used on an Ionic capital, that has the form of a spiral scroll
3. (Zoology) any of the whorls of the spirally coiled shell of a snail or similar gastropod mollusc
4. (Animals) any tropical marine gastropod mollusc of the family Volutidae, typically having a spiral shell with beautiful markings
5. (General Engineering) a tangential part, resembling the volute of a snail's shell, that collects the fluids emerging from the periphery of a turbine, impeller pump, etc
6. having the form of a volute; spiral
7. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery moving in a spiral path
[C17: from Latin volūta a spiral decoration, from volūtus rolled, from volvere to roll up]
1. a spiral or twisted formation or object.
2. a spiral ornament, found esp. on the capitals of the Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite orders.
3. a horizontal scrolled termination to the handrail of a stair.
a. a turn or whorl of a spiral shell.
b. any of various tropical marine gastropods of the family Volutidae, many having vivid shells.
5. having a volute or rolled-up form.
6. spirally shaped.
[1690–1700; (< French) < Latin volūta, past participle of volvere to turn. See revolve]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||volute - ornament consisting of a curve on a plane that winds around a center with an increasing distance from the center|
|2.||volute - a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops; "a coil of rope"|
hank - a coil of rope or wool or yarn
|Adj.||1.||volute - in the shape of a coil |
coiled - curled or wound (especially in concentric rings or spirals); "a coiled snake ready to strike"; "the rope lay coiled on the deck"
n (Archit) → Volute f