votary(redirected from votarists)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to votarists: votary
n. pl. vo·ta·ries
a. A person bound by vows to live a life of religious worship or service.
b. A devout adherent of a cult or religion; a committed worshiper: the votaries of Aphrodite.
2. A person who is fervently devoted, as to a leader or ideal; a faithful follower.
3. A person who is filled with enthusiasm, as for a pursuit or hobby; an enthusiast.
[From Latin vōtum, vow; see vote.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church Eastern Churches a person, such as a monk or nun, who has dedicated himself or herself to religion by taking vows
2. (Eastern Church (Greek & Russian Orthodox)) RC Church Eastern Churches a person, such as a monk or nun, who has dedicated himself or herself to religion by taking vows
3. a devoted adherent of a religion, cause, leader, pursuit, etc
(Ecclesiastical Terms) ardently devoted to the services or worship of God, a deity, or a saint
[C16: from Latin vōtum a vow, from vovēre to vow]
ˈvotaress, ˈvotress fem n
vo•ta•ry(ˈvoʊ tə ri)
n., pl. -ries also -rists.
1. a devoted worshiper of a deity, saint, etc., or a devout adherent of a religion.
2. a person who is devoted to some subject or pursuit; devotee: a votary of jazz.
3. a devoted follower or admirer.
4. a person who is bound by solemn religious vows.
[1540–50; < Latin vōt(um) a vow]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||votary - one bound by vows to a religion or life of worship or service; "monasteries of votaries"|
religious - a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
|2.||votary - a priest or priestess (or consecrated worshipper) in a non-Christian religion or cult; "a votary of Aphrodite"|
vestal virgin - (Roman mythology) one of the virgin priestesses consecrated to the Roman goddess Vesta and to maintaining the sacred fire in her temple
bacchant - (classical mythology) a priest or votary of Bacchus
bacchante - (classical mythology) a priestess or votary of Bacchus
|3.||votary - a devoted (almost religiously so) adherent of a cause or person or activity; "the cultured votary of science"|