Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to votive: votive Mass
1. Given or dedicated in fulfillment of a vow or pledge: a votive offering.
2. Expressing or symbolizing a wish, desire, or vow: a votive prayer; votive candles.
[Latin vōtīvus, from vōtum, vow; see vote.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. offered, given, undertaken, performed, or dedicated in fulfilment of or in accordance with a vow
2. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church optional; not prescribed; having the nature of a voluntary offering: a votive Mass; a votive candle.
[C16: from Latin vōtīvus promised by a vow, from vōtum a vow]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. offered, dedicated, performed, etc., in accordance with a vow, often as an act of veneration or of gratitude for a favor granted: a votive offering.
2. of the nature of or expressive of a wish or desire.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||votive - dedicated in fulfillment of a vow; "votive prayers"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
votive[ˈvəʊtɪv] adj → votif/ivevotive candle n (in church) → cierge m; (decorative) → bougie f décorative
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
votive[ˈvəʊtɪv] adj (offering) → votivo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995