winking(redirected from vulvar winking)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
v. winked, wink·ing, winks
1. To close and open the eyelid of one eye deliberately, as to convey a message, signal, or suggestion.
2. To close and open the eyelids of both eyes; blink.
3. To shine fitfully; twinkle: Harbor lights were winking in the distance.
1. To close and open (an eye or the eyes) rapidly.
2. To signal or express by winking: winked his agreement.
a. The act of winking.
b. A signal or hint conveyed by winking.
2. The very brief time required for a wink; an instant.
3. A quick closing and opening of the eyelids; a blink.
4. A gleam or twinkle.
5. Informal A brief period of sleep.
To pretend not to see: winked at corruption in the ministry.
To come to a close; end.
[Middle English winken, to close one's eyes, from Old English wincian.]
(Physiology) the act of closing and opening one eye quickly, deliberately, or in an exaggerated fashion to convey friendliness, etc
(of a light) gleaming or flashing intermittently
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||winking - a reflex that closes and opens the eyes rapidly|
inborn reflex, innate reflex, instinctive reflex, physiological reaction, reflex, reflex action, reflex response, unconditioned reflex - an automatic instinctive unlearned reaction to a stimulus
palpebration - repeated blinking or winking (especially if uncontrolled and persistent)
|Adj.||1.||winking - closing the eyes intermittently and rapidly; "he stood blinking in the bright sunlight"|