Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. wait·ed, wait·ing, waits
a. To remain or rest in expectation: waiting for the guests to arrive. See Synonyms at stay1.
b. To stay in one place until another catches up: waited at the corner for everyone else in the group.
2. To remain or be in readiness: Lunch is waiting at the counter.
3. To remain temporarily neglected, unattended to, or postponed: The trip will have to wait.
4. To work as a waiter or waitress.
1. To remain or stay in expectation of; await: wait one's turn.
2. Informal To delay (a meal or an event); postpone: They waited lunch for us.
3. To be a waiter or waitress at: wait tables.
1. The act of waiting or the time spent waiting.
2. Chiefly British
a. One of a group of musicians employed, usually by a city, to play in parades or public ceremonies.
b. One of a group of musicians or carolers who perform in the streets at Christmastime.
wait on (or upon)
1. To serve the needs of; be in attendance on.
2. To make a formal call on; visit.
3. To follow as a result; depend on.
4. To await: They're waiting on my decision.
To delay until the termination of: wait out a war; waited out the miniskirt craze.
1. To postpone going to bed in anticipation of something or someone.
2. Informal To stop or pause so that another can catch up: Let's wait up for the stragglers.
[Middle English waiten, from Old North French waitier, to watch, of Germanic origin; see weg- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb (intr, adverb)
1. to delay going to bed in order to await some event
2. informal chiefly US and Canadian to halt and pause in order that another person may catch up
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
zůstat vzhůru a počkat
sidde oppe og vente
valvoa ja odottaa jotakuta
자지 않고 기다리다
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
wait up→ يَنْتَظِرُ zůstat vzhůru a počkat sidde oppe og vente aufbleiben für περιμένω ξύπνιος esperar levantado valvoa ja odottaa jotakuta veiller čekati budan rimanere alzati 寝ないで待つ 자지 않고 기다리다 opblijven voor vente oppe czuwać esperar acordado дожидаться vänta på รอคอย yatmayıp beklemek thức đợi 不睡觉地守候
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009