Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
v. wak·ened, wak·en·ing, wak·ens
1. To rouse from sleep; awake: The noise wakened me.
2. To rouse from a quiescent or inactive state; stir.
3. To cause to be aware; alert or enlighten: The news wakened the king to his advisers' treachery.
1. To become awake; wake up: I plan to waken at six o'clock tomorrow. See Usage Note at wake1.
2. To become aware: wakened to the truth.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.