Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
v. wak·ened, wak·en·ing, wak·ens
1. To rouse from sleep; awake: The noise wakened me.
2. To rouse from a quiescent or inactive state; stir.
3. To cause to be aware; alert or enlighten: The news wakened the king to his advisers' treachery.
1. To become awake; wake up: I plan to waken at six o'clock tomorrow. See Usage Note at wake1.
2. To become aware: wakened to the truth.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wakening - the act of waking; "it was an early awakening"; "it was the waking up he hated most"|
reveille - a signal to get up in the morning; in the military it is a bugle call at sunrise