Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Marked by full consciousness, awareness, and alertness: worked every moment of my waking hours.
used to describe time when one is awake
1. the dreamlike state between waking and sleeping
2. (Physiology) the state of being awake as opposed to asleep
- expergefacient, expergefaction, expergefactor - A synonym for awakening is expergefacient; expergefaction is waking up and an alarm clock is an expergefactor.
- dysania - The state of having a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning.
- experrection - Waking up or awakening.
- hypnagogic jerks, hypnopompic jerks - Hypnagogic jerks are the spasms that happen right when you fall asleep; hypnopompic jerks happen right when you are waking up.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||waking - the state of remaining awake; "days of danger and nights of waking"|
consciousness - an alert cognitive state in which you are aware of yourself and your situation; "he lost consciousness"
wakefulness - a periodic state during which you are conscious and aware of the world; "consciousness during wakefulness in a sane person is pretty well ordered and familiar"
sleeping - the state of being asleep
|Adj.||1.||waking - marked by full consciousness or alertness; "worked every moment of my waking hours"|
awake - not in a state of sleep; completely conscious; "lay awake thinking about his new job"; "still not fully awake"
waking[ˈweɪkɪŋ] ADJ I spent my early childhood in a kind of waking dream → pasé los primeros años de mi infancia como soñando despierto
one's waking hours → las horas en que se está despierto
he spent every waking moment in the kitchen → pasaba cada minuto del día en la cocina
this experience has been a waking nightmare → esta experiencia ha sido como vivir una pesadilla