pennywort(redirected from wall pennyworts)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various creeping aquatic or semiaquatic plants of the genus Hydrocotyle, having round or oval scalloped leaves and small white or greenish flowers grouped in umbels.
b. A Eurasian plant (Umbilicus rupestris) having fleshy peltate leaves and a tall stalk of yellowish-green flowers. Also called navelwort.
2. Any of various other plants having rounded leaves suggestive of pennies.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: navelwort a crassulaceous Eurasian rock plant, Umbilicus rupestris (or Cotyledon umbilicus), with whitish-green tubular flowers and rounded leaves
2. (Plants) a marsh plant, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, of Europe and North Africa, having circular leaves and greenish-pink flowers: family Hydrocotylaceae
3. (Plants) a gentianaceous plant, Obolaria virginica, of E North America, with fleshy scalelike leaves and small white or purplish flowers
4. (Plants) any of various other plants with rounded penny-like leaves
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014