Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. pl. walleye or wall·eyes A freshwater food and game fish (Sander vitreus) of North America, having large silvery eyes and a greenish-yellow mottled body.
a. See exotropia.
b. An eye or eyes affected with exotropia.
3. An eye with a light-colored iris or white or opaque cornea.
[Back-formation from walleyed.]
n, pl -eyes or -eye
1. (Pathology) a divergent squint
2. (Pathology) opacity of the cornea
3. (Physiology) an eye having a white or light-coloured iris
4. (Zoology) (in some collies) an eye that is particoloured white and blue
5. (Animals) Also called: walleyed pike a North American pikeperch, Stizostedion vitreum, valued as a food and game fish
6. (Animals) any of various other fishes having large staring eyes
[back formation from earlier walleyed, from Old Norse vagleygr, from vage, perhaps: a film over the eye (compare Swedish vagel sty in the eye) + -eygr -eyed, from auga eye; modern form influenced by wall]
n., pl. -eyes, (esp. collectively for 1,2 ) -eye.
1. Also called walleyed pike. a large game fish, Stizostedion vitreum, of lakes and rivers in NE North America, having large eyes.
[1515–25; back formation from walleyed]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||walleye - strabismus in which one or both eyes are directed outward|
|2.||walleye - pike-like freshwater perches|
n. estrabismo divergente, exotropía; leucoma corneal.