Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Often Offensive Affected with exotropia.
a. Having large bulging eyes, as some fish.
b. Having eyes wide-open and glaring, as in anger.
3. Having an eye with a light-colored iris or white or opaque cornea.
4. Slang Intoxicated; drunk.
1. having exotropia.
2. having large, staring eyes, as some fishes.
3. marked by excited or agitated staring of the eyes, as in fear or astonishment.
4. having a milky whitish eye, as from an opacity of the cornea.
[1300–50; Middle English wawileghed, waugle eghed < Old Norse vagleygr=vagl- (meaning uncertain; compare Icelandic vagl film over the eye) + -eygr -eyed; see eye; compare Old English waldenīge]