Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to waning: Waning moon
intr.v. waned, wan·ing, wanes
1. To decrease gradually in size, number, strength, or intensity: Interest in the subject waned.
2. To show a progressively smaller illuminated area, as the moon does in passing from full to new.
3. To approach an end: The day began to wane.
1. The act or process of gradually declining or diminishing.
a. A time or phase of gradual decrease.
b. The period of the decrease of the moon's illuminated visible surface.
3. A defective edge of a board caused by remaining bark or a beveled end.
on the wane
In a period of decline or decrease: "The tide was near the turn and already the day was on the wane" (James Joyce).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) (of the moon) the act of showing a gradually decreasing portion of illuminated surface, between full moon and new moon
2. the act of decreasing gradually in size, strength, power, etc
3. (Astronomy) (of the moon) showing a gradually decreasing portion of illuminated surface, between full moon and new moon
4. decreasing gradually in size, strength, power, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||waning - a gradual decrease in magnitude or extent; "the waning of his enthusiasm was obvious"; "the waxing and waning of the moon"|
decrease, lessening, drop-off - a change downward; "there was a decrease in his temperature as the fever subsided"; "there was a sharp drop-off in sales"
waxing - a gradual increase in magnitude or extent; "the waxing of the moon"
|Adj.||1.||waning - (of the Moon) pertaining to the period during which the visible surface of the moon decreases; "after full moon comes the waning moon"|
waxing - (of the moon) pertaining to the period during which the visible surface of the moon increases; "the waxing moon passes from new to full"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995