Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
war·horsealso war-horse (wôr′hôrs′)
1. A horse used in combat; a charger.
2. Informal A person who has been through many battles, struggles, or difficult experiences.
3. Informal A musical or dramatic work that has been performed so often that it has become widely familiar.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a horse used in war; charger.
2. Informal. a veteran of many conflicts, as a soldier or politician.
3. Informal. a musical composition, play, etc., that has been seen, heard, or performed excessively.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.