Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adj. warm·er, warm·est
1. Somewhat hotter than temperate; having or producing a comfortable and agreeable degree of heat; moderately hot: a warm climate.
2. Having the natural heat of living beings: a warm body.
3. Preserving or imparting heat: a warm jacket.
4. Having or causing a sensation of unusually high body heat, as from exercise or hard work; overheated.
5. Marked by enthusiasm; ardent: warm support.
6. Characterized by liveliness, excitement, or disagreement; heated: a warm debate.
7. Marked by or revealing friendliness or sincerity; cordial: warm greetings.
8. Loving; passionate: a warm embrace.
9. Excitable, impetuous, or quick to be aroused: a warm temper.
10. Predominantly red or yellow in tone: a warm sunset.
11. Recently made; fresh: a warm trail.
12. Close to discovering, guessing, or finding something, as in certain games.
13. Informal Uncomfortable because of danger or annoyance: Things are warm for the bookies.
v. warmed, warm·ing, warms
1. To raise slightly in temperature; make warm: warmed the rolls a bit more; warm up the house.
2. To make zealous or ardent; enliven.
3. To fill with pleasant emotions: We were warmed by the sight of home.
1. To become warm: The rolls are warming in the oven.
2. To become ardent, enthusiastic, or animated: began to warm to the subject.
3. To become kindly disposed or friendly: She felt the audience warming to her.
n. InformalPhrasal Verb:
A warming or heating.
1. To prepare for an athletic event by exercising, stretching, or practicing for a short time beforehand.
2. To make or become ready for an event or operation.
3. To make more enthusiastic, excited, or animated.
4. To approach a state of confrontation or violence.
[Middle English, from Old English wearm.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||warmed - having been warmed up; "a cup of warmed milk"|
warm - having or producing a comfortable and agreeable degree of heat or imparting or maintaining heat; "a warm body"; "a warm room"; "a warm climate"; "a warm coat"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.