putty(redirected from was putty in hands)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. put·ties
a. A doughlike cement made by mixing whiting and linseed oil, used to fill holes in woodwork and secure panes of glass.
b. A substance with a similar consistency or function.
2. A fine lime cement used as a finishing coat on plaster.
3. A yellowish or light brownish gray to grayish yellow or light grayish brown.
tr.v. put·tied, put·ty·ing, put·ties
To fill, cover, or secure with putty.
[French potée, polishing powder, from Old French, a potful, from pot, pot, from Vulgar Latin *pottus.]
n, pl -ties
1. (Building) a stiff paste made of whiting and linseed oil that is used to fix glass panes into frames and to fill cracks or holes in woodwork, etc
2. (Building) any substance with a similar consistency, function, or appearance
3. (Building) a mixture of lime and water with sand or plaster of Paris used on plaster as a finishing coat
4. (Tools) (as modifier): a putty knife.
5. (Elements & Compounds) See putty powder
6. a person who is easily influenced or persuaded: he's putty in her hands.
a. a colour varying from a greyish-yellow to a greyish-brown or brownish-grey
b. (as adjective): putty-coloured.
8. up to putty informal Austral worthless or useless
vb, -ties, -tying or -tied
(Building) (tr) to fix, fill, or coat with putty
[C17: from French potée a potful]
n., pl. -ties, n.
1. a compound, usu. of whiting and linseed oil, used to secure windowpanes, patch woodwork defects, etc.
2. any of various substances for sealing the joints of tubes or pipes.
3. a mixture of lime and water with sand and plaster of Paris, used as a finish plaster coat.
4. a person or thing easily molded, influenced, etc.v.t.
5. to secure, cover, etc., with putty.
n., pl. -ties.
Past participle: puttied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||putty - a dough-like mixture of whiting and boiled linseed oil; used especially to patch woodwork or secure panes of glass|
cement - something that hardens to act as adhesive material
filler - used for filling cracks or holes in a surface
|Verb||1.||putty - apply putty in order to fix or fill; "putty the window sash"|
مَعْجونة لِتَثْبيت الزُّجاج
a type of paste made from ground chalk and oil, used to fix glass in windows etc. stopverf مَعْجونة لِتَثْبيت الزُّجاج маджун massa de vidraceiro kyt der Kitt kit στόκοςmasilla kitt بتونه kitti masticמרק पुटीन, पुट्टी, लेप gitt dempul kítti stucco パテ (접합제) 퍼티 kitas, glaistas tepe dempul stopverfkitt, sparkelmassekit ګلګل betume chit замазка git kit staklarski git kitt, spackel ปูนอุดรอยรั่ว cam macunu 油灰 замазка для вікон; шпаклівка سفيدہ اور السي تيل کا مرکب جو کھڑکي وغيرہ ميں شيشہ فٹ کرنے کے کام آتا ہے vữa, mát-tít 油灰