Also found in: Wikipedia.
Related to water purslane: Water primrose
1. A marsh or wetland herb (Ludwigia palustris) having reddish stems and small reddish flowers.
2. Any of various aquatic annual herbs of the genus Didiplis, especially D. diandra, of the eastern and central United States, having small greenish flowers.
3. Any of various other aquatic plants.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an onagraceous marsh plant, Ludwigia palustris, of temperate and warm regions, having reddish stems and small greenish flowers
2. (Plants) any of several lythraceous plants of wet places that resemble purslane, such as Peplis portula of Europe, which has small pinkish flowers, and Didiplis diandris of North America, which has small greenish flowers
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014