Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A dog that takes easily to the water, especially one trained for hunting waterfowl.
2. Informal A person who feels at home in or on the water.
3. often wa·ter·dog (wô′tər-dôg′, -dŏg′, wŏt′ər-)
a. See mudpuppy.
b. A larval tiger salamander.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a hunting dog trained to retrieve waterfowl.
2. Informal. a person who feels at home in or on the water.
wa•ter•dog(ˈwɔ tərˌdɔg, -ˌdɒg, ˈwɒt ər-)
any of several large salamanders, esp. of the genus Necturus, as the mudpuppy.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.