watering hole(redirected from watering holes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A small natural depression in which water collects, especially a pool where animals come to drink.
2. Informal A social gathering place, such as a bar or saloon, where drinks are served: "a Warsaw restaurant that was once a cosmopolitan watering hole for actors and writers" (Newsweek). In both senses also called water hole.
1. (Zoology) a pool where animals drink; water hole
2. (Brewing) facetious slang a pub
1. a pool where animals go to drink; water hole.
2. Also called watering place , wa′tering spot`.a bar, nightclub, or other social gathering place where alcoholic drinks are sold.