Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Wa·ter·loo 1(wô′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-, wô′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-)
1. A town of central Belgium near Brussels. Napoleon met his final defeat in the Battle of Waterloo (June 18, 1815).
2. A city of northeast Iowa on the Cedar River northwest of Cedar Rapids. It was founded in 1845.
Wa·ter·loo 2(wô′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-, wô′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-)
n. pl. Wa·ter·loos
A final, crushing defeat.
1. (Placename) a small town in central Belgium, in Walloon Brabant province south of Brussels: battle (1815) fought nearby in which British and Prussian forces under the Duke of Wellington and Blücher routed the French under Napoleon. Pop: 29 003 (2004 est)
2. (Military) a total or crushing defeat (esp in meet one's Waterloo)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Wa•ter•loo(ˈwɔ tərˌlu, ˈwɒt ər-, ˌwɔ tərˈlu, ˌwɒt ər-)
1. a village in central Belgium, S of Brussels: Napoleon decisively defeated here on June 18, 1815.
2. any decisive or crushing defeat.n
3. a city in NE central Iowa. 68,050.
4. a city in SE Ontario, in S Canada. 58,718.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Waterloo - a town in central Belgium where in 1815 Napoleon met his final defeat|
|2.||waterloo - a final crushing defeat; "he met his waterloo"|
|3.||Waterloo - the battle on 18 June 1815 in which Prussian and British forces under Blucher and the Duke of Wellington routed the French forces under Napoleon|
Napoleonic Wars - a series of wars fought between France (led by Napoleon Bonaparte) and alliances involving England and Prussia and Russia and Austria at different times; 1799-1815
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995