Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A tornado or less violent whirlwind occurring over water, consisting of a funnel-shaped whirling column of air and water droplets.
2. A hole or pipe from which water is discharged.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) meteorol
a. a tornado occurring over water that forms a column of water and mist extending between the surface and the clouds above
b. a sudden downpour of heavy rain
2. (Building) a pipe or channel through which water is discharged, esp one used for drainage from the gutters of a roof
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
wa•ter•spout(ˈwɔ tərˌspaʊt, ˈwɒt ər-)
1. a spout, duct, or the like, from which water is discharged.
3. a whirling, funnel-shaped cloud that touches the surface of a body of water, drawing upward spray and mist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An intense low-pressure system which creates a column of fast-moving wind laden with water.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||waterspout - a tornado passing over water and picking up a column of water and mist|
|2.||waterspout - a heavy rain|
|3.||waterspout - a channel through which water is discharged (especially one used for drainage from the gutters of a roof)|
conduit - a passage (a pipe or tunnel) through which water or electric wires can pass; "the computers were connected through a system of conduits"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995