weal(redirected from weals)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to weals: Weil's disease
1. Prosperity; happiness: in weal and woe.
2. The welfare of the community; the general good: the public weal.
A ridge on the flesh raised by a blow; a welt.
(Pathology) a raised mark on the surface of the body produced by a blow. Also called: wale, welt or wheal
[C19: variant of wale1, influenced in form by wheal]
1. archaic prosperity or wellbeing (now esp in the phrases the public weal, the common weal)
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) obsolete the state
3. (Banking & Finance) obsolete wealth
[Old English wela; related to Old Saxon welo, Old High German wolo]
1. well-being, prosperity, or happiness: the public weal.
2. Obs. wealth or riches.
3. Obs. the body politic; the state.
[before 900; Middle English wele, Old English wela; akin to well1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||weal - a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions|