Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
An ability to recognize quickly signs of changes in the weather.
keep a/one's weather eye open
To keep watch; stay alert.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) the vision of a person trained to observe changes in the weather
2. informal an alert or observant gaze
3. keep one's weather eye open to stay on the alert
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. sensitivity and alertness to signs of change in the weather.
2. astute watchfulness, esp. alertness to change.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
weather eyen to keep a weather eye on sth (fig) → tener d'occhio qc
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995