apache(redirected from Web server)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Apache or A·pach·es
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting the southwest United States and northern Mexico. Various Apache tribes offered strong resistance to encroachment on their territory in the latter half of the 19th century. Present-day Apache populations are located in Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.
2. Any of the Apachean languages of the Apache.
[American Spanish, probably from Zuni ʔaapaču, pl. of paču, Navajo.]
n. pl. a·paches (ə-păsh′, ä-päsh′)
A member of the Parisian underworld.
[French apache, Apache, ruffian, from English Apache.]
npl Apaches or Apache
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people, formerly nomadic and warlike, inhabiting the southwestern US and N Mexico
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Athapascan group of the Na-Dene phylum
[from Mexican Spanish, probably from Zuñi Apachu, literally: enemy]
apache(əˈpɑːʃ; -ˈpæʃ; French apaʃ)
a Parisian gangster or ruffian
[from French: Apache]
a Parisian gangster, rowdy, or ruffian.
[1735–45, Amer.; < French: Apache]
n., pl. A•pach•es, (esp. collectively) A•pach•e.
1. a member of any of a group of American Indian peoples of the U.S. Southwest and adjacent areas of the Great Plains.
2. any of the Athabaskan languages spoken by the Apaches.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Apache - any member of Athapaskan tribes that migrated to the southwestern desert (from Arizona to Texas and south into Mexico); fought a losing battle from 1861 to 1886 with the United States and were resettled in Oklahoma|
Mexico, United Mexican States - a republic in southern North America; became independent from Spain in 1810
|2.||apache - a Parisian gangster|
|3.||Apache - the language of the Apache|
Athabascan, Athapaskan language, Athabaskan, Athapascan, Athapaskan - a group of Amerindian languages (the name coined by an American anthropologist, Edward Sapir)
Chiricahua Apache - an Apache language
San Carlos Apache - an Apache language