window box(redirected from weight box)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A usually long, narrow box for growing plants, placed on or hung from a windowsill or ledge.
2. One of the vertical grooves on the inner sides of a window frame for the weights that counterbalance the sash.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Building) a long narrow box, placed on or outside a windowsill, in which plants are grown
2. (Horticulture) a long narrow box, placed on or outside a windowsill, in which plants are grown
3. (Building) either of a pair of vertical boxes, attached to the sides of a sash window frame, that enclose a sash cord and counterbalancing weight
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a box for growing plants, placed at or in a window.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.